Monday, 5 March 2012

My Experience with Bleaching My Hair- An In Depth Review...




Hi everyone :D

So last week, I finally went to Sally's Beauty Supply for the first time! I was so excited, and as I walked in- I was in makeup and hair care heaven.

I really wasn't prepared for the extent of how many beauty products where in each aisle! They have everything, even eyelashes. My main focus though, was getting some products to bleach my hair. I've had my hair a darker blonde for a couple years- and I thought it was time for a change. I love the look of platinum blonde hair, its so beautiful. Before going to Sally's I watched numerous videos on bleaching hair- and I decided I wanted to buy a 40 volume developer (my aim was a white blonde, without any yellow tones)  The person who helped me out was super nice, she suggest ION- as the smell is more bearable then most bleaches (ION's Developer and powder lightener smells like green apples) .....However, she suggested I go with a 30 volume developer (big mistake! I should have followed my gut feeling) and I figured since she was a professional- that I would take her advice. I also wanted to go with the Salon Care developer- I know now that I should have gone with my original list. Oh well, now I know for next time! Luckily, I can always go back and purchase a smaller bottle of the 40 Volume.

Here is what I purchased:







For reference, here are the prices:

ION Mixing Bowl: $2.79
ION Applicator Brush: $1.59
Shiny Silver Purple Shampoo: $10.49
ION Sensitive Scalp 30 Volume Developer: $7.19
ION Powder Lightener: $25.79
Wella Toner (not pictured) $10.00


DAY # 1: I did a strand test as soon as I got home, and it turned out great and I decided to bleach my hair that day. I sectioned my hair- and made sure each strand was saturated from root to tip. I left it on for 50 minutes (which is the longest they recommend you leave bleach on for) and I went to rinse it out. As expected, some parts where brassy, with a few yellowish parts. I went to bed, and decided to bleach a second time the next day. Bleaching more then once is often required, so I wasn't worried.

DAY # 2: I repeated everything the next day, and was still left with so many uneven and patchy area's :( I was really annoyed, because I was doing everything correctly. I knew this was happening because I had gone with a 30 volume- I really should have just gone with my gut feeling and purchased a 40 Volume. Any who, I was told by the Sally's SA that spot bleaching is fine- which is what I did. Still, nothing. It didn't look horrible- but it wasn't the white blonde I craved. Also, the colour was not compatible with my skin tone (it made me look very red- and I never have had a problem with any redness) .....

DAY # 3: I decided to use the Toner that the Sally's SA told me would work wonders. 5 minutes after applying it to my hair, my hair started looking gray! I rinsed it out, and was left with very ashy hair. It wasn't a full on grey, but it wasn't a nice colour. I was so stressed out :(

DAY # 4:  I recalled reading a review of a Feria Haircolor when I was researching boxed colours that would give a nice, light blonde colour.  It was the shade 110 (very light beige blonde) 2 reviewers had the same issue as me, a toner had left their hair gray (and this colour fixed it) ..... My sweet boyfriend (who was really supportive throughout this whole mess) went and purchased the dye for me. I crossed my fingers, and 45 minutes later washed my hair. As I took the towel off my hair, I opened my eyes and finally saw what I had wanted the bleach to do in the first place. A gorgeous white blonde, without a single brass or yellow tone! I was so happy, and all the anxiety I had melted away :) also, it brings out my skin tone so nicely!




Thank You, Feria! <3

I know that was a long post, but I thought I would share it with anyone wanting to bleach their hair. I have never been a fan of salons. I would always come out with my hair looking just like it did when I coloured it myself. However, bleach can be very tricky for a beginner. When I explained what had happened to another Sally's SA over the phone, she said I should have clearly gone with a 40 Volume Developer, and a toner would most likely not be needed. I should have known to go with my gut, I always do- Oh well, lesson learnt. All in all, everything worked out :) I have the colour I want, and when my roots grow in- I'll use a 40 volume.  If you aren't sure, going to a salon might be best. I've always liked doing my hair myself, so it was a somewhat fun experiment.
..................................................
In the process, my hair got very dry- but I discovered a Miracle Hair Mask that completely rejuvinated my hair. Its the Palmers Coconut Oil Deep Conditioning Protein Pack with Vitamin E. I left this on my damp hair for 30 minutes, and I was floored by how soft my hair was after. I wish Palmers would sell bottles of this stuff! it smells amazing to :) I actually use it as a  daily conditioner because it doesn't hold a candle to any conditioner I have ever tried. If your hair needs a major damage control, this will do the job. The packet it quite large, and so far has lasted me around 5 uses- and for only $3.00, I'm impressed!


XO



6 comments:

  1. Great post, I also bleached my hair myself. Im a natural brunette i went blonde then dyed my hair back brown then a few weeks later dyed my hair back blonde, had a few orange turns running through it but after i put a light ash blonde and washed it with a purple shampoo and it toned down thank god! don't know how my hair hasn't falling out yet haha. now following your lovely blog, follow back please?:) x x

    http://prettyinpinkox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for following Elaine <3

      I'm surprised my hair didn't fall out- I put it through to much torture in a span of one week! luckily it was in good condition before I started :-) and then the mask by Palmers fixed everything up nicely afterwards :D

      x

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog today!
    I love it, thanks for all the info on bleaching! Im too nervous to bleach my own hair, so I dye it black haha!

    xxx Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jessica :) x

      I can say that darker hair is much more easier upkeep :) when my hair was a medium blonde- my roots weren't that noticable and easy to touch up. I love black hair! but it doesn't suit my skintone :( Thanks for commenting hun <3

      xx

      Delete